The My Runway Fashion Show

/
2 Comments
Every day is a fashion show 
and the world is
My Runway


So we've all heard the saying 'the world is your runway', but you never really know what that means until you actually step foot on a runway.

From the casting of models to the rehearsals to the stage to the after party, My Runway isn’t just My Runway. It’s a family, a culture, an opportunity to bring three universities together, the world to fashion, common to couture, and a chance to visualise the work of fashion designers from around the word all on one stage.

Be it Shannice Mears the choreographer and creative director or the Leicester and DMU student representatives and models, everyone had a crucial part to play in My Runway and they executed it exceptionally with a hint of style.

The show wasn’t perfect, and like any other it had its flaws, but the beauty of My Runway isn’t just the models strutting down the runway, it’s the way they were able to overcome every obstacle thrown their way no matter the situation. When something took them a step back they took two steps forward, got the show on the road, and left the crowd gobsmacked and in awe.

Due to the show beginning over an hour later than planned because of a dispute between the composers and the building management, the show ended abruptly. Mid-walk, the models were blacked out as the curtains fell before they could take their next step. Taking everyone by surprise, the show came to a screeching halt.

Despite the show ending earlier than expected there were no regrets. Every pose, every choreographed routine and every walk down the imaginary runway during rehearsals was all worth it. It’s amazing to think these students were able to grasp it all within a month. Rehearsals in Leicester went from being two hours twice a week to five hours in one session; some without choreographer Shannice and Ambassador/Model Joe. It wasn’t compulsory for the Leicester and DMU student models and representatives to do this; it was shear dedication and commitment. And so when people ask me how the show turned out the way it did despite all the commotion, I can easily say, as cliché as it may sound; it was the people. The people on and off the stage; the models, representatives, make-up artists, fashion designers, the DJ, even those who were simply getting the crowd in and out of the theatre and into their seats in an orderly fashion.

It was amazing to see the show come together the way it did, and I’m certain that it surpassed expectations. Believe me, I would know; I saw the show from every possible angle. I was backstage, sat with the crowd up AND down stairs, and I was also paparazzi for some of the night gathering as much footage as I possibly could to saver every single moment. So when I say from every angle, regardless of what anyone else has to say, it came together in more ways than expected. My Runway 2014 was more than a runway, it was an experience.

After the show, I saw the disappointment in everyone’s faces; not because they expected more from the show, but because the show deserved to have lasted longer than it did. Each fashion designer’s work deserved to be displayed, each choreographed piece deserved to be shown, each model deserved to have their own solo walk, host Eddie Kadi deserved to tell one more joke and you better believe I deserved more pictures because everyone looked breath taking.

De Montfort University student Lauretta Afful, 20, who modelled in the show said “it’s unfortunate that after hours upon hours of rehearsals it ended up being only a 2 hour show. I felt like it ended too abruptly, everyone deserved more, Shannice deserved more. The show would have had more positive feedback if it went according to plan. However, seeing every model so happy after each performance was so rewarding.”

In mine and the eyes of many, My Runway 2014 was a success. The people who put the show together, Shannice Mears in particular did an amazing job with this year’s show; I see bigger and better things to come for her and the My Runway group.

And just a few final words from me… From DMU taking the title in this year’s Clash of The Titans competition by yours truly, to both DMU and University of Leicester taking the title in this year’s The Big Clash show to the Leicester students really setting themselves apart in My Runway 2014. It’s safe to say that Leicester really does have talent!



You may also like

2 comments: